Wednesday, January 14, 2009

"Paris is always a good idea"


To quote Sabrina, 

"I cross someone in the street playing la vie en rose. They do it for the tourists but I'm always surprised by how it moves me. It means seeing life through rose coloured glasses, and only in Paris where the light is pink does that song make sense."

As much as I love the above quote, it is this end bit that I think is most important "I'll have it in my pocket when I get home, and I'll carry it with me wherever I go". I believe that the most amazing places which you visit, which you immediately connect with (whilst knowing they will never be "just like home"), which you will always want to go back to.. and which make you feel exactly like yourself (or better yet -- the person who you want to be -- the "better version" of yourself) .. those places will always stay with you wherever you go. I read recently that most Australians don't feel like they have had a holiday within a few weeks of returning to work. It may true, it doesn't have to be, and it is a little bit sad.

With me, wherever I go...

For me, those "places" are New York, Paris, and (perhaps oddly) the Blue Mountains (west of Sydney). If I were to be specific I'd say Leura or Katoomba, preferably with a little bit of snow, a train trip and some angsty feminist or philosophical work. Try Mr Pickwicks for inspiration. 

[For the uninitiatied, I refer to the Julia Ormond version of the 1954 Hepburn movie. I might be in the minority (as I am often reminded) but I do prefer Ormond to Hepburn (blasphemy I know). That said, it does support my argument that when it comes to adaptations (be it book to film, vice versa or simply an updated version of a classic film, the first version you see will always be the one you prefer. Blame nostalgia.)]



No comments:

Post a Comment