Thursday, February 26, 2009

Paul Kelly & Lior


...are playing at the Blue Mountains Music Festival on the weekend of 14th-15th of March.

I've always loved the Blue Mountains. I used to travel up there on the train every few months, primarily in winter. It is imperative that you travel on the train - driving defeats the purpose and limits your ability to read quality literature. Not that I ever read any quality literature, but that isn't the point. Instead, a few classic feminist texts (yes, Germaine) and trashy chick-lit (think 
Bridget Jones or Devil Wears Prada quality) were the flavour of the day. If you are very very lucky, you will walk down the main street in Katoomba and it will start snowing. So, you wander past the Clarendon hotel (where, incidentally, my parents spent the
first few nights of their honeymoon) and into Mr Pickwicks. Mr Pickwicks is a huge second-hand bookstore where they encourage you to read their books. If you are feeling particularly adventurous head upstairs (I'll say nothing more). 

Once the snow has stopped, take the 20 minute walk through the fog to the Three Sisters. With any luck, they too will be covered in fog and you won't be able to see any
thing. Wander past Lilianfels Hotel. This is my very favourite hotel in the whole wide world. This is quite strange really, considering I have never been inside, let alone stayed there. I like to think that I'm saving up my stay there (and my money) for a very special occasion.
 
The most important thing about your trip to the mountains is who you go with. Ideally, go alone. Rad your book, people-watch on the train, sit and have coffee and soup. If you get bored, head to Katoomba library or Leura [but that is a topic for another blog].  Then, once the Mountains are special for you, you have my permission to take a friend or family member. Keep the list small, I have only done special BM trips with three people. I can only think of a few others I would take. 

Remember to leave though, absence makes the heart grow fonder.  I should know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment